Skip to main content

News

• ElkArte - Just Installed!

Topic: Ryan Woods already making a positive impression at Stoke City (Read 158 times) previous topic - next topic

Ryan Woods already making a positive impression at Stoke City
Ryan Woods already making a positive impression at Stoke City

ช่อง ทาง เข้า sbo Gary Rowett has work to do if he is to turn things around at Stoke City but signing Ryan Woods is a good start. Adam Bate talks to Liam Lawrence, a former Stoke favourite and a one-time team-mate of the young midfielder, to find out why he can make the difference.

These are testing time at Stoke City. The pre-season favourites for promotion find themselves closer to the bottom of the Championship than the top half of the table, let alone the play-off places. New manager Gary Rowett has criticised long-serving captain Ryan Shawcross. Supporters are increasingly frustrated by events at their club.

But perhaps it is the very last of the summer signings who offers the brightest hope for the future. Ryan Woods has arrived from Brentford and the 24-year-old midfielder has immediately won over the fans. His range of passing, ช่อง ทาง เข้า sbo his confidence in possession and, more than anything, his appetite for the contest has stood out from the rest.

For one former Stoke player, this is no surprise. Liam Lawrence scored 14 goals for the club the last time that they won promotion to the Premier League a decade ago. But he later played alongside Woods as Shrewsbury Town won promotion to the third tier in 2015. It did not take him long to realise that he had the ideal midfield partner.

"The manager Micky Mellon had a couple of good young players and he was bringing me in to help them along," Lawrence tells Sky Sports. "I remember seeing Woodsy in my first training session and thinking he's decent, he's lively, he's sharp. He was just full of energy and right from when I started playing with him I knew he'd be a good player.

"For a lad playing in that league I was surprised how good he was on the ball. He was a special talent and he was brilliant to play with. He was in the middle with me and did all my running for me because my legs were on the way out then. We managed to get promoted and he had an unbelievable season. He was unlucky not to get player of the year.

"He just had a great attitude. He was one of the first in training and the last to leave. ช่อง ทาง เข้า sbo He was always up for the passing and shooting drills at the end and he was a winner. He just hated losing and if you had him on your team in five-a-side you always knew you had a chance."